You are here


Urologists are surgeons who treat men, women and children with problems involving the kidney, bladder, prostate and male reproductive organs. These conditions include cancer, stones, infection, incontinence, sexual dysfunction and pelvic floor problems.

Urology trainees undergo a rigorous training program set up by the Royal College of Surgeons (RACS) and Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand (USANZ), which not only involves extensive urological training, but also in general surgery, emergency medicine and intensive care. Urologists are required to maintain their skills and knowledge by participating in Continuous Professional Development programs with the colleges.

Dr Gani practices in the public as well as private sectors. You can still see Dr Gani in the rooms, but if surgery is needed, it may be done in a public hospital and not necessarily by Dr Gani. Having private insurance means less waiting for your surgery and that you will be operated by Dr Gani.

Some uninsured or overseas patients can choose to pay for their surgery in the private hospitals. We can help with obtaining quotes from the hospital that you are going to.

No, there will be some out-of-pocket costs for your consultation. You can claim part of the consultation fees back from Medicare. There are reduced rates available for Pensioners and Health Care cardholders. Veteran’s Affairs Gold Card holders will be fully covered by the DVA.

You can pay by cash, cheque, EFTPOS or credit card (MasterCard or Visa).

Dr Gani is registered as a no-gap doctor with most major health funds. However, there may be some particular surgery that will involve a gap. These will be discussed with you prior to any treatment.

You may get a bill from the anaesthetist involved in your surgery. Some operations require a surgical assistant but that fee should be covered by your health fund in most cases. You should check with the private hospital if your health fund will cover the cost of your hospital stay.

A referral can be obtained from your general practitioner (valid for 12 months) or from another medical specialist (valid for 3 months). This referral is necessary for you to claim the Medicare rebate for our specialist services.

For urgent medical problems, you can see your general practitioner, go to the nearest Emergency Department or call Dr Gani on his paging service (9387 1000).